“Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.”
Like in Alice in Wonderland, it’s the day the Mad Hatter is King. Everyone wants to see the Ladies in their Hats. As American men, where can we go to have a day of over the top fun in a Top Hat? I just want to wear one of those awesome Hats! Just think of how we would feel in an outfit like the style of dress during the 5 days of Royal Ascot, a 300 year Horse Racing tradition and social Event of the year. Only the Mad Hatter could think of how we could begin to express our individuality.
Before the Royal Wedding that captivated the world with Kate Middleton and Prince William, how many of us have ever heard of the word Fascinator as a description for a hat or head piece or really cared. The annual much anticipated Royal procession is a great showcase of the Royal Family and their respect for the Horse Racing, Horse Breeding and the tradition of the HAT.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who this year is calibrating his 90th birthday looks dapper in his Hat and Day Suit and Queen Elizabeth maintaining a long tradition of a Hat and White Gloves inspires the crowd. It’s a great opportunity for people to dress in a style unique to the tradition of Ascot and have a day of FUN. The Art of the Milliner is showcased and maintained at Royal Ascot.
1. When you can bring your passion into what you do your concept of work alters. When you are working at something that you love the last thing you want to do is stop.
2. Although we live in a material world and everyone can appreciate beauty and quality the things that are really important are out relationships with other people. What can we do that will benefit those we come in contact with?
3. Time is passing for all of us don’t wait to do what you are inspired to do. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed don’t let fear or others opinions keep you from expressing your voice.
4. Don’t be afraid of making a change. When you feel that a situation isn’t right for you rather than letting it rob you of your joy take it as a hint that making a change can open new opportunities for you.
5. Be true to who you are. Believe in yourself and what you have to offer.
Bottega Veneta Spring 2012 Ready-to-Wear Designer Tomas Maier understands that fashion / style is an opportunity to change moods and inspire. Cloud technology, handicraft, urban ethnic influence and redefining material makes this collection the perfect metaphor of real life. Empowering us with his “Let’s move forward and have confidence in our personal birth gifts” statement. Josephine Baker once said “We are a part of the Rainbow Tribe.” Let’s celebrate our kinship in having the courage to wear more color. Leading with red the essence of passion.
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.”
Attending a funeral allowed me to realize the content in St. Matthew 6:19 as it relates to designer clothing and moths. Not having worn suites for some time, I was shocked when I discovered my suit jackets were all OK, however all the matching pants were full of moth holes. It seem that moths have great taste as they ate the largest holes in the most expensive pants. I immediately thought of St. Matthew and the quote that relates to storing up treasure on earth.
As a child I remember not wanting to wear certain clothing and being told by my grandmother that, “Cloth don’t make the man.” As I listen to Mr. Tom Ford speak in the proceeding interview, I am reminded of how we can all misplace our values. We can often think we are what we are wearing. Growing up in the age of the “Designer”, it was all about what labels you’re wearing and how much did you spend.
Where did we go wrong? Did we all forget the lessons we learned from our parents, grandparents or anyone of substance. When our cashmere garments are moth eaten do we think of that as a metaphor of holes that have been eaten in our soul? What will people say about us when we are no longer here? Will they only say we were well dressed yet had little substance? Will they say we were kind, loving, inspiring with a legacy of grace. When will we discover our real treasure is the gift of contribution to others? Joseph Osborne